Welcome to my blog where I write about Vaguely Phyisics Related Matter, I hope you enjoy it :)

Sunday 27 July 2014

The first two applications

I decided to start preparing for next years summer internship applications and found two that are already open! They are both really exciting but I'm dreading starting my covering letters... So I guess this post is an attempt to get started in a round about way and try and get some of my passion into my writing again. I mean I have written in the last 4 weeks but there is a slightly different tone when you're talking to clients about accounts... These opportunities for next year promise to be much more captivating!

The first is at IRENA which stands for International Renewable ENergy Agency. They cheated a bit with that N in there but it does sound better so I'll let them off! And I want them to like me so I definitely will! From what I've seen on their website they seem be to a type of council that works with different countries to encourage the use of renewable energy technologies more. To do this they research into new techniques, help set up systems and report on the usages in different countries. Like a network to share knowledge and resources more efficiently. So if you want to get into the renewable energy business, the centre of it all seems a pretty good place to be. There are opportunities in Abu Dahbi, United Arab Emirates and in Bonn, Germany. I would love the opportunity to go abroad and a summer is the perfect length for me. I have had such a great time on all my travels these last couple of years but the opportunity to live and work in a country would be a real chance to immerse myself in a culture. Even if I get homesick or things didn't go quite to plan, I don't think its something I could ever regret doing. I think I would prefer to be in Germany since its closer to home and therefore less scary but I can't afford to be fussy and to be honest maybe scarier is better. To further add to my excitement, they are currently relocating their head quarters to Masdar City and since discovering it in this post, I haven't forgotten my dream to visit it one day!

The second is at Sellafield which is a company that decommissions nuclear power stations. I applied last year and didn't get it but this year I am that bit older and am applying much earlier. I'm hoping that and a bit of luck will give me more of a chance to hopefully reach interview stage. The placement will either be in Manchester or West Cumbria and even though its not a new country it is still a brand new place which will hold its own surprises I'm sure. From looking at the website it seems a very structured placement and will surely lead to greater things. The Beacon Museum in Cumbria has a Sellafield  exhibition which sounds interesting! Oh and Brian Cox was at the opening ceremony... Not that I care... Just mentioning....

So... I guess I had better get started then... Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment